Skip to page body Home About Us Residents Business Visitors Schools Government
Motor Vehicle PDF Print E-mail

Renew Your Tags Online!


" Customers need to renew in their own county", (as statute requires T.C.A. 55-4-105e)

New Vehicle: Purchaser needs to have in their possession (MSO) Manufacturer Statement Origin, completed by dealer and purchaser. Also, need bill of sale stating tax collected and lien holder (if any). If vehicle is purchased out of state and sales tax is lower than TN, then the difference will be collected at time of registration.

Used: Purchaser should have title in their possession with the buyer and seller's signature. Odometer is required for vehicles ten years or newer. Tax will be collected at time of registration unless dealer collected tax. Selling price of vehicle has to be 75% of book value. Low selling price will delay process of issuing title. An Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfers of Motor Vehicles and Boats (also called Gift Affidavit) can be used for low selling price of gift. Do not purchase vehicle if seller's signature does not match the name on the front of the title. If lien appears on front of title, make sure it has been released before purchase. If lien needs to be noted on either new or used, make sure full name and address is properly noted.

Moving to Tennessee: Owner needs title from previous state, or if still paying on vehicle, we need current registration and full name and address of lien holder. Cost of transferring out of state title and to obtain plate and registration is $65.00.

Replacement of Lost Tennessee Title: Tennessee title is the only title that may be replaced. No out of state titles. To obtain a replacement title, a duplicate title application has to be completed and signed by registered owner. The owner must come in to the Clerk's office to apply for duplicate title. If owner chooses, he/she can choose to complete a Power of Attorney Form, which enables someone other than registered owner to obtain replacement title. Owner's signature on the Power of Attorney Form must be notarized. Replacement title fee is $11.00.

Noting of Lien: Must be Tennessee title. In order to note lien, a Noting of Lien Form has to be completed and signed by registered owner. Must have TN title and a security agreement between the lender and borrower. Noting of lien: $11.00

Selling a vehicle with multiple owners: Only one signature is required on title if registered to two or more and is joined by "OR". If joined by "AND", both signatures are required.

Selling of Vehicle: Registered owner of vehicle signs his/her name as signature of seller. Individual obtaining ownership of vehicle signs their name as buyer with complete address. Seller should never sign off of title without completing buyer potion; this is known as an open title. This could result into penalties to seller.

Handicap: Handicap individual must have Application For Disabled Person License Plate/Placard completed by physician to obtain plates or placard. If purchasing plate, individual has to be a registered handicap person. Handicap license plates: $54.00. If permanently confined to wheel chair, license plate is free. If handicap individual has a vehicle registered in their name, the placard is free. If no vehicle is registered in their name, placard is $26.50, renewable every two years for $3.

Renewals: The price for regular plates is $54/year. The price for regular personalized or cultural plates is $90/year. The price for personalized cultural or specialty plates is $125/year.



*CHECKS* - Made payable to "Maury County Clerk" (We do not accept out of town checks.)

*CREDIT CARDS* - There is 2.25% fee which is paid directly to the card issuer (VISA, Mastercard, etc.) plus $.25 per transaction.

***We only accept cash or checks for TWRA transactions.

***We only accept cash or credit card for Marriage Licenses.

Click here for specialty plate information

Click here for title and registration forms





Organ Donor

donateOrgan donation truly shares life with others. By putting your name on the Donate Life Tennessee Organ and Tissue Donor Registry you can help keep other families together. Learn more >>

Hunting - Fishing

TWRAState hunting and fishing licenses are sold in the Clerk's Office. Visit the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency website or call us at 865.457.6226.

Specialty Tags

mitzitagsThe State of Tennessee offers more than 90 specialty license plates for Tennessee motorists to display on their registered motor vehicles. Learn More>

Last updated: 11/1/2018 7:22:29 PM