Skip to page body Home About Us Residents Business Visitors Schools Government

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the difference between unruly and delinquent charges?

An unruly offense is a charge that only a child under the age of 18 can receive, for example runaway is an offense that someone 18 years of age or older could not be charged with . A delinquent charge is an offense that an adult could also be charged with, for example theft of property.

When do I come for court?

On your petition or citation it will list a court date and time. For Part I court your case will typically be set for any Thursday at 1 PM, on the other hand Part II is typically the 3rd Thursday of the month at 8:30 AM. Do Not arrive late for court, you may be asked to come back another day.

What should I wear to court?

Attire should not include shorts, ripped jeans, tank tops, low cut shirts, hats, or any other clothing that is revealing. Males are expected to tuck in their shirt and have their pants at waist level. If you show up to court in unacceptable clothing you will be sent home. 

Who should come to court with me?

A parent or guardian must accompany you to court, no exceptions. If you have turned 18 years of age since you received your petition you may come to court by yourself. If a parent or guardian is unable to attend with you please be sure to contact the clerk at 931-375-1117 or 1118.

What happens when the judge calls my name?

In Part I Court when the judge calls your name, proceed up the aisle on the right side of the court room and stand at the podium facing the judges bench, if the judge calls you to the bench do not place your hands on it. When your case is finished please exit to the left. 

In Part II Court when the judge calls your name, proceed up the center aisle and stand at the front table facing the judge. Exit back down the same aisle out the back door of the court room.

What if I misplaced the paperwork I was given in court?

Some documents are available here, otherwise you will need to return to the Maury County Courthouse.

How do I pay my court costs?

Court costs should be paid in full or payments arranged the day you appear in court, if you fail to do so please return to either the Part I or Part II Court Clerk. You also have the option to pay them online for Part I and Part II.

Can I bring my cellphone with me to court?

Yes, but please make sure that it is either turned off or silenced. If it rings during court it may be taken away from you.

I hear that the Columbia Police Department will no longer being running a program for Public Service Work?

Yes, that is true. However, your child still owes all hours that were ordered. Go here for details on the new program.

I want to have my child locked up in jail or at least have a tour of the jail, how do I do that? 

It is not common practice or policy for juveniles to be detained, only specific situations warrant a juvenile being detained in a secure facility. Due to Federal guidelines no juvenile should ever be detained in a jail with adults. At this time Maury County Juvenile Court does not conduct tours of the jail and Middle Tennessee Juvenile Detention Center does not offer tours of their privately owned facility. Maury County Juvenile Court does not maintain or operate Middle Tennessee Juvenile Detention Center.

What if I don't see my question here?

Do not hesitate to ask a Juvenile Court staff person or the Judge, we will do our best to answer your question. 

Last updated: 6/13/2016 4:21:27 PM