The Sheriff’s Department Training Unit is responsible for ensuring that each sworn deputy of the Sheriff’s Department receives 40 hours of in-service training which maintains the deputies certification as governed by the Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission, also known as P.O.S.T.
Training officer's duties include but may not be limited to:
- Scheduling any specialized school for members of the department.
- Ensuring state standards and qualifications are met for each officer.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of new laws or training required by state law.
- Ensuring the highest level of professionalism within the department by increasing the ability, knowledge and skills in all areas of law enforcement for each deputy.
- Provide pertinent local training to ensure that deputies are certified to use the equipment they carry.
- To train the deputies to serve the public in a consistent, efficient and professional manner.
- Establish a budget and work within the budget requirements.
- Establish lesson plans, coordinate and instruct various training classes.
Additionally, the Training Unit is responsible for ensuring that all Corrections personnel are equally trained to meet the requirements of the Tennessee Corrections Institute. To maintain certification, all Correctional Officers are required to attend 16 hours of in-service training provided by the Corrections Institute, as well as an additional 24 hours of local training.