In 1902 the Columbia Tennessee Students’ Club, reorganized by Mary Carpenter a few years prior, established a reading room on Garden Street that would serve as the very first iteration of the Maury County Public Library. The then Library moved physical locations several times over the next few years - from a room above the Maury County Dry Goods Company to private homes to a former Post Office, the Library hopped from place to place until the mid 1900’s.
The Library was accredited as an entity in 1951 through the State of Tennessee, utilizing the book collection of the Students’ Club. In 1968, through a Library Services and Construction Title Grant, along with the generosity of citizens, trusts, and estates, the existing Maury County Public Library building was erected at 211 West 8th Street. As the needs of Maury County grew, so did the Library. In 1994 the Library received another grant - this time to turn the basement into a Children’s Library and renovate the first floor. The Library continues to operate in the 211 West 8th Street building over a half-century later.